- General Election
May 4, 2024 General Election Information
Town elections shall be conducted in accordance with the Texas Election Code and held annually on the first Saturday in May or such other date as required by the Texas Election Code. The next Town of Providence Village General Election will be held Saturday, May 4, 2024 for the purpose of electing two Town Council Members, designated as place 2 and 4 for a term of three years. The Town of Providence Village contracts with the Denton County Election Administration.
Application for a place on the ballot must be filed with the Town Secretary office during the filing period for the election. The form may be found on the Secretary of State website with additional forms on the Texas Ethics Commission website. The first day to file for a place on the ballot is January 17, 2024, at 8:30 a.m. The last day to file for a place on the ballot is February 16, 2024, at 5:00 p.m.
Qualifications / Eligibility Requirements
Requirements from Texas Election Code:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
- Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
- Totally mentally incapacitated; or
- Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardon or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Be a registered voter in the territory from which the office is elected as of the date of the filing deadline for a candidate's place on the ballot.
Requirements from Section 5.02 of the Town’s Home Rule Charter:
- Candidates for elective Town offices shall file for office in accordance with the Texas Election Code.
- Candidates for elective Town offices shall meet the following qualifications:
- Shall provide proof of being a United States Citizen and being at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of the election for which they are filing;
- Shall meet all requirements to be a qualified voter set forth in the Texas Election Code at the time of the election for which they are filing; and
- Shall have resided within the corporate limits of the Town, or recently annexed territory, for at least twelve (12) months prior to the filing date.
- No candidate may file in a single election for more than one (1) office or position established by this Charter.
- No employee of the Town shall continue in such position after filing for an elective office established by this Charter.
Home Ruler Charter-Candidate Qualifications
A campaign Treasurer must be designated, and Form CTA filed with the Town Secretary before any contribution is accepted, or any expenditures is made. The form may be located at the Texas Ethics Commission along with instructions.
Campaign Filing Schedule
- 1st repot due on the 30th day before Election
- 2nd report due on the 8th day before Election.
- Final report may be filed at any time after the election.
If a final report is not filed, the Semi-Annual reports will be due each year on January 15th and July 15th.
If you have any questions, please contact the Town Secretary at 940-365-9333, ext. 413.